USRESIST NEWS proposes the following set of public policy goals to guide the Democratic Party’s 2020 presidential campaign platform. We support all progressive policy proposals but would like to emphasize the policy goals below as ones we think need to be prioritized. They reflect the suggestions of our talented team of reporters, journalists, and bloggers.
The Most Important Goal
The most important goal in the upcoming presidential election is to win. We need to win the presidency, maintain control of the house, and flip the senate. To do this we need all Democrats everywhere and anywhere to vote (in-person or by mail) for Joe Biden and his Vice-Presidential running mate.
- Civil Rights: Voter suppression in all of its forms (limiting access to the ballot box, legislative obstacles such as shorter registration deadlines, voter purges, etc.) should be deemed unconstitutional. Civil rights and equality efforts should be promoted, especially those aimed at promoting racial justice and ending discrimination on the basis of gender, sexual orientation and gender identity. The Black Lives Matter and LGBTQ+ efforts that have been at the forefront of these issues deserve enhanced and continued support.
- Ethics Reform :Mandate that the president, his appointees and members of Congress, disclose their previous 10 years of tax returns. Require a divestiture of all holdings which may represent a conflict of interest as defined by the Office of Government Ethics. Bar any outgoing president, appointee or member of Congress, from working for those who’ve lobbied them for a period of ten years.
- The Economy: Implement a comprehensive adequate safety net to address the economic needs of those at risk. Right now, services to low-income populations are dispersed and levels of support inadequate. We should have universal health care that is not related to employment, subsidized daycare, paid sick, parental, and family leave with job security, and a minimum basic income so that rent and food are not in question. Transition America’s economic dependence upon what is now a global industrial carbon-based supply chain to a more self-reliant locally sourced economy; while also recognizing that the United States is part of a worldwide interdependent economic order. Well-designed free trade agreements among nations, that respect labor rights, human, rights, and environmental standards, are often in America’s best interest.
- Education: Forgive the debt of those who cannot afford to repay students loans, and ease repayment terms on all loans. Make tuition at all community colleges free, and provide reduced tuition at public colleges and universities for anyone with moderate incomes. Restore higher education affirmative action programs. Increase public school teacher salaries and make sure that schools in low income communities have the resources to provide quality education to their students.
- Environment: Triple our country’s investment in renewable energy. Make the US the world’s leader in clean energy research, investment, commercialization, manufacturing, and exports by 2030. Mandate that all new and renegotiated electricity generation contracts have to be based on 100% low-carbon electricity starting in 2021. Rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Ethics Reform: Mandate the president, his appointees and members of Congress disclose their previous 10 years of tax returns. Require a divestiture of all holdings which may represent a conflict of interest as defined by the Office of Government Ethics. Bar any outgoing president, appointee or member of Congress from working for those who’ve lobbied them for a period of ten years.
- Foreign Policy: Rejoin and strengthen our alliances in Europe and Asia. Reset our relationships with Russia and China. Emphasize multilateral collaboration in solving global problems such as climate change. Strengthen the effectiveness of international organizations, such as the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, and the International Criminal Court. Increase our foreign assistance program for developing countries.
- Gun Control: Pass major gun control legislation that includes mandatory background checks; the banning of assault weapons of all kinds; raising the age to buy guns; and promoting the use of red flag laws.
- Health Policy: Secure proper funding for the American healthcare system to provide hospitals with the equipment needed to support patients and staff during COVID-19 treatments. Fully contain COVID-19 in all 50 states and rebuild our public health system so the US is better prepared for future pandemics. Make sure that pharmaceutical companies are held accountable for their role in the opioid crisis and ensure that addiction treatment is prioritized. A strong commitment to reproductive rights is imperative after the recent attacks on the rights of womxn). And an inclusive health insurance option must be made available for every person in America, at no cost for those who can’t afford it.
- Immigration: Reassert America’s commitment to asylum-seekers and refugees. Encourage foreign entrepreneurs, innovators, scholars, medical professionals, and creative thinkers to come to the United States. American policymakers should make a point to address the value and skills that immigrants bring to our country. Tear down the Trump border wall, and provide citizenship to all Dreamers.
- Police Reform: Prohibit the use of chokeholds. Pursue criminal and civil penalties for police misconduct and ban no-knock warrants in drug-related cases. Create a national registry to track police misconduct, and establish standards for police conduct and certification. Delegate non-criminal police responsibilities to health care workers, social workers, and others. Promote local adoption of existing campaigns such as #8CantWait, Campaign Zero, #8toAbolition, and President Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing. Towns and cities can decide which of these make the most sense for their municipalities based on their histories and current practices.
- Technology: Strengthen Federal regulation over the posting of hate speech and false advertising on social media platforms. Strengthen the protection of individual privacy rights from the intrusion of technology platforms. Support broadband access for all Americans. Encourage greater government, business, not-for-profit and educational collaboration to increase internet security and guarantee individual freedoms.